A Day at the PARCC

PARCC to be introduced in March to 9-11 grade students

Photo by Taylor Hickam

The PARCC test is a national, online based assessment for grades 9-11.

Taylor Hickam, Staff Writer

In the past, every time March arrived, it was time for the annual, state-mandated, standardized testing, which freshmen and sophomores had to take at Ralston Valley over the course of two weeks.

Over the course of those two weeks, juniors and seniors enjoyed a nice long break, only having to attend classes for a short period of time in the morning before departing for the afternoon.

Well, CSAP changed to TCAP, and that test has changed again. This time, with the national adoption of Common Core Standards, the new test is called PARCC.

PARCC will be taken during March as well, but juniors and seniors will no longer have the extended afternoon breaks.

The junior class gets the short end of the stick, having to take PARCC in March as well as the state mandated ACT on April 28.

Throughout March, there will be no technology available for students not taking the PARCC test due to the limited band width at the school and the need for test-taking students to utilize all available computers, laptops and Chromebooks.

“With PARCC being more technologically advanced,” said Math teacher and School Assessment Coordinator, “it prepares students for college and the workforce better.”

As it relates to the schedule, nothing will change.

Those who take tests will be doing so during their English and Math classes. Otherwise, their schedules will remain the same.

Seniors will be sticking to their regular schedule, and they will not be enjoying an extended spring break.