Meet Logan: The Music Man

Ralston Valley has spent the past week donating to The Make-A-Wish Foundation, on behalf of Logan.

Logan was born with half of his heart, and has braved many challenges to get to where he is today.

Jean McClelland, Staff Writer

It wouldn’t be a stretch to say that the entire school was in awe upon seeing Logan perform at the Make-A-Wish assembly.

His fingers seemed to fly across the piano keys, and with the final chord, the entire student body erupted onto their feet with applause. Logan beamed and took a bow.

His journey with music has been a long-standing one. “When I was 6 years old, I REALLY wanted to learn to play piano,” says Logan. “I was drawn to my mom’s keyboard.”

Now in sixth grade and 11½ years old, Logan’s musical skills have grown right along with him. Currently, he plays piano, ukulele, sings, and wants to learn to play the drums.

It’s only logical that Logan chose an in-home recording studio as his wish. The Make-A-Wish foundation grants wishes to children with life-threatening conditions to bring positivity and hope into their lives, as well as those of their families.  Logan lives with a condition called hypo plastic left heart syndrome, which requires multiple surgeries, daily medicine, EKG’s (electrocardiograms), and pacemaker tests.

“I knew a few years ago [that] I could possibly qualify for a wish,” says Logan. “It was just a few months ago, when the actual process started as I made a wish. It felt so awesome, I was so excited!” Throughout this week, Ralston Valley has been raising money for the Make-A-Wish Foundation on behalf of Logan in order to make his in-home recording studio wish a reality.

Logan loves to play the piano, and has since he was six years old.

“I love music and want my music on the radio,” says Logan. With his new recording studio, he plans on “start writing my own song and making new arrangements doing cover songs.”

“My favorite song to play is All of Me by John Schmidt, and [I’m] learning a cool song arrangement of ‘Star Wars Movement #2’ by Jarrod Radnich,” says Logan.

However, music isn’t his only passion. He also enjoys “football cards, school, Xbox, playing with friends. [The hardest thing is] not being able to play sports,” says Logan. His favorite things to learn about are NFL football stats.

Throughout his crazy journey, he says that his mom has been the biggest support system. Above all, “playing piano” helps to keep him strong and positive. “Upbeat songs that have a powerful meaning inspire me.”

The power of music is indescribable; the feeling in the gym while Logan was performing speaks for itself. Logan’s wish will fuel his passion and positivity, allowing him to bring his gift of music to people everywhere.

To donate to the Make-A-Wish Foundation, please visit www.wish.org.