Remember the Music Man

With the musical, ‘Music Man’ coming to RV the cast and crew are preparing to put on a show for the entire school.

Tessa Petersen

As the musical draws ever closer, the members of the cast and crew are excited to put on one final show for Mr. Sawyer.

Tessa Petersen, Staff Writer

Keith Lopez, opens the show as the train conductor in the first scene. Will he be dropping off the Music Man and or known as Harold Hill, a con artist and salesman of boys bands, to the small town of River City, Iowa. A little, kind of stubborn, town that is full of lazy and snoozy people.

Harold Hill, as the actor Matt Smaldone who will be portraying him explains, “His plan is to sell them a boys band. Selling them instruments, uniforms, and the instruction manuals.” Going on to say, “[He plans to]  pose as the conductor himself, get the city out of trouble- that he creates himself- and leave once the town pays him.”

Jason Toennis, who plays the Mayor George Shinn of River City, explains how he never trust Harold Hill from the beginning and how, “he’s always very suspicious, and he’s constantly asking for [Harold Hill’s] credentials, for proof of who he is.”

Before Harold Hill is able to leave though there’s a twist in the story that makes him rethink his entire plan. Before anything is spoiled though, Smaldone and all the other cast members want all the Ralston Valley students, parents, teachers, and anyone else to, “Come see it!”

Darrian Huffman, who plays Ewart Dunlop in the quartet, explains how the production of The Music Man at RV is going by stating, “All the directors are really into it, because it’s Sawyers last year and they want to make it good.” Further explaining that the cast; “Is really excited about it as well, just because it’s a really good musical.”

David Cole has some other thoughts about his excitement for the musical, “[No I’m not excited] because I have to kiss someone.”

However Hunter Petersen, who plays Marcellus Washburn a cousin to Harold Hill, expresses his feelings towards the musical by stating, “I’m genuinely terrified. In a really positive way I suppose, if that makes sense.” Further explaining how he had never heard of The Music Man until he came to RV but never thought that he would fall in love with the music in this production.

Petersen states how, “The music was just so catchy, some good and some annoyingly aggressive and boring but a lot of the songs were very very fun.”

Although everything is looking good for the production of The Music Man at RV there’s a lot of emotions surrounding the musical as well. Ken Sawyer has planned this production for many years, and his influence on the music department and over RV from the beginning has definitely made an mark that will last centuries through the students and how things happen around RV.

“Without a doubt the emotions [surrounding the musical] are going to be everywhere, for seniors, juniors, anyone who’s remotely knows Sawyer in anyway. it’s going to be pretty emotional,” states Petersen.

Toennis explains his view on the production being one to remember Sawyers last year by stating, “I think it adds extra pressure but it also adds extra motivation and inspires us to do are best.”
There is no doubt that the production of The Music Man will be successful, all of the crew is excited to get everything up and running, ladies and gentlemen, this will be one to remember.