RV’s 2020 Vision

RV’s newest freshman class will be first to graduate in the 20’s

Making their way through their freshmen year at Ralston Valley are Graiden King, Ali Stephens and Lauren Johnson. All three freshmen came to RV from Woodrow Wilson Academy.

Lynsey Johnson

Lynsey Johnson, Staff Writer

Welcome to RV, class of 2020.

These 450-plus students accomplished some milestones down the journey of their initial two weeks of high school.

The first overwhelming feeling was walking through the gauntlet of faculty and staff who lined the front doors to greet them as they walked into an unknown world.

“Seeing the amount of people there really surprised me because I wasn’t expecting that,” said Lauren Johnson, who came to RV from Woodrow Wilson Academy K-8.

As the class of 2020 walked into the gym to have its first annual welcoming assembly, students filled the bleachers to be greeted by all their teachers and supporting staff members.

Through this assembly, each student learns tips and tricks to survive all four years in the hallways of their new school.

As has been the case at RV, each freshman was designated two Mustang Mentor leaders and a teacher to walk them through every stairway, classroom and hallway of the building.

Despite the tour, students still went through their schedules, getting lost multiple times in the space of such a huge building.

“I got lost only once,” recalled Graden King, “but I wasn’t late because I got there before the teacher even did so that’s pretty good.”

In addition to walking through a silver day schedule, freshmen and their leaders cleared the cobwebs of opening lockers, and made a mental map of the RV hallways before the sea of returning students joined them.

MMP mentors rewarded their freshmen with doughnuts for making it through their first week of high school. Many students enjoyed it while others were dreading every moment of it.

Some didn’t know what to do with their free time.

“Having that freedom is pretty awesome,” Ali Stephens said of her off block. “It gives me time to complete my homework.”

Integral RV pieces like I.C.E. and BOOST were presented to the freshman class, and these students were happy with the extra opportunities provided to catch up on any work and meet with their teachers.

“I get to sleep in a little but also take that time to work on my homework,” said Stephens, referring to ICE on white days.

It’s just one of many adjustments presented at RV for the Class of 2020.