Time to Sign

Ralston Valley Students moving up to the college level athletics

Photo courtesy of Kasee Horton

Kasee Horton will be playing soccer at Northeastern State University in Oklahoma beginning next year.

Taylor Hickam, Staff Writer

It didn’t happen overnight.

In fact, for most, it took many years of dedication, passion and hard work.

But many Ralston Valley seniors pushed through and made it. So, in the fall of 2015, they will be competing athletically at the collegiate level.

Already, there are nine Ralston Valley students who have signed and/or verbally committed to participate on a collegiate athletic team. That number is expected to rise this spring when more Mustang athletes sign letters of intent.

Ralston Valley athletic director, Mr. Mark Koopman, stated that many sports at RV are on the rise, including golf and tennis, which is helping increase the number of students extending their athletic careers beyond high school.

Senior Kasee Horton will be attending Northeastern State University in Oklahoma and will be playing outside left back on their soccer team.

Horton has been playing soccer since she was three years old, and continues to love the competitive aspect of it.

Besides practice and games, she plays “anytime that I’m not busy.”

“I wouldn’t know what else to do with my free time,” said Horton, who will be joining former RV Mustang soccer standout McKenzie Musella (’12) on the women’s soccer team at Northeaster State University.

“I’m most excited to meet even more new people through soccer in college,” said Horton. “And I want to push my limits as a soccer player.”

As for Cody Bartusiak, a Wheat Ridge lacrosse player, he will be continuing his career at Division II Lynn University in Florida.

Like Horton, Bartusiak will be joining a former RV grad at Lynn, as Caleb Cerf (’14) also plays for the Fighting Knights

Bartusiak has been playing lacrosse since third grade and says that it has made him appreciate the competitiveness of high-level athletics.

In the fall of next year he is most excited for being a part of the team and competing at a higher level.

From the lacrosse field to the swimming pool, the Mustangs Mackenzie Atencio will be representing her alma mater at Indiana University at Bloomington.

Atencio has been swimming for 13 years, and says swimming has made a huge difference in her life.

“It taught me how to manage my time,” said Atencio. “And it’s taught me to work hard for the things I’m passionate about.”

Through swimming, Atencio has made her best friends and friends she will have for a lifetime.

She is anxious to make even more friends through the sport, and testing her abilities at the Division I level.

LIST OF THE ALL SIGNINGS:

Caylee Addison – Campbell University – Swimming
MacKenzie Atencio– Indiana University- Swimming
Cody Bartusiak – Lynn University – Lacrosse
Simone Gibeau – Utah State Aggies – Volleyball
Taylor Hickam – Oklahoma State University – Equestrian
Kasee Horton – Northeastern Oklahoma University – Soccer
Kat Schafer – University of Wisconsin-Parkside – Softball
Alicia Thompson – University of Northern Colorado – Cross Country and Track
Andrew Wingard – University of Wyoming – Football (committed, but unsigned)