Taking the Path less Traveled

RV junior Trevor Randall planning to enroll after graduating

Photo by Mr. Jeff Fleischman

Junior Trevor Randall has his sights set on joining the Air Force after he graduates as a part of the Class of 2016.

Hadley Hagemann, Staff Writer

Throughout academic life, the school system has been preparing students for one thing — college.

Every level of school has led to the next, until finally, after four years at Ralston Valley, a path is chosen. Everyone’s path is very different, but for nearly 90 percent of RV’s graduating seniors, going off to college is their choice.

However, exceptions exist.

Junior class president Trevor Randall is one such exception.

Randall enjoys talking openly about his plans beyond high school.

“My plan is to join the armed forces,” Randall said, “most likely the Air Force.”

Many prosperous students say this with pride, prepared to fight in the name of their beloved country, for the freedom that comes with the colors red, white, and blue.

Many events and people, beyond the obvious, have influenced Randall’s choice to go into the armed forces.

“I have many family members that served in the armed forces,” Randall said. “One of the people who influenced me the most, my grandfather, was a Marine in World War II.”

His grandfather inspired the idea of joining the armed forces, but Randall turned an idea into action.

“I talk to every branches recruiter when they come to RV,” Randall said, “and I often go to the various recruiting stations.”

The interest he expresses now will set his future plans in the direction he wants, which is important for the path he embarks.

Something that makes Randall shine beyond others showing interest in the armed forces is that he plans to “get an engineering degree in college, whether I get accepted into an academy or not.”

Although Randall may not pursue engineering while in the Air Force, he still plans on getting his degree, which not all people on his path may do.

This romantic journey in the name of our country is defined as brave, and for good reason. Bravery is often paired with danger and the armed forces are certainly risky.

As secure as Randall is with his decision to go into the armed forces, his friends and family are not as valiant.

“It is very dangerous and they care about my safety,” explained Randall, when talking about his family.

Nevertheless his family and friends are very supportive of his goals, and understand his motives for going on such an epic journey.

“This was the hardest decision I have ever had to make,” Randall admitted. “…But in the end, it is about doing what you want, and making sure you live the life that will make you happy, through the benefit of others.”