Arts and Crafts

RV artists shooting for excellence at Scholastic Art Exhibition

RV senior Carys Evans hopes to have her artwork selected for display at the Colorado Scholastic Art Exhibit.

Photo by Hanna Roshak

Hanna Roshak, Staff Writer

Now in second semester, the ideas and creativity of art students here at Ralston Valley have begun to come to life. Students beam with pride as rough drafts turn into final products and hard work turns into success.

The Art teachers at RVHS viewed the work presented last semester as such high caliber that they deserve to be recognized on a higher level.

The teachers from each art department: Ms. Bnnie Colagrosso, Mrs. Heather Muñoz, and Mr. Troy Pfitzer, submitted a total of around 25 student works, including pottery, paintings, drawings and photographs, to the Scholastic Art Exhibit.

Pfitzer, the digital photography teacher, said, “I am blown away by the hard work and motivation presented by art students here at Ralston Valley. The kids are very expressive and it shows through their work. The kids that shown through we applied into the art show.”

The applicant and elimination process is lengthy, as judges sort through hundreds of talented works. But by Friday, January 30, they expect to hear back on which works are accepted and will be displayed at the exhibit.

“We look forward to seeing who will be featured in the art exhibit,” said Colagrosso, the department chairperson, “but we are frustrated with how long the process is taking.”

Competing students are eager to see how their work is judged.

“I am really excited because it is my first piece and I spent a really long time on this piece,” said senior Carys Evans. “I took it home most nights to work on it. It is very rewarding that it might make it into the art show.”

Students who are accepted into the art exhibit will be featured at the History Colorado Center from Feb. 2 – March 6.

From there, selected art works will be featured at an exhibit at the Denver Art Museum from March 12 – April 2, and will qualify for the College and Young Artist Scholarships.