iBot or S-Nerd?

What’s your Smartphone of choice?

So, what’s it going to be? Are you choosing the iPhone or the Samsung Galaxy?

Hadley Hagemann, Staff Writer

I think that most people can agree that almost every person you see walking the hallways of Ralston Valley has a smartphone.

At the beginning of the smartphone phenomena Apple dominated, creating a simple preface with many extensive stores such as the App Store, and iTunes.

However, as many would guess, the world of electronics is constantly expanding and improving, and it didn’t take long for another company to shine light on their amazing new devices. Samsung, being one of the main upcoming smartphone companies, is working towards being Apples big competition; and if you ask me, it’s working.

I may be slightly biased because I switched from my iPhone 5C to a Samsung Galaxy S5 to start the New Year off right, and I honestly am never going back.

However, I didn’t want my own opinion to decide that Samsung was superior to the long standing Apple products, so I asked around.

In general, finding people with a Samsung in Ralston Valley was slightly more difficult than finding people with an iPhone. However, you could tell that more and more people were switching, and those that had, have been extremely satisfied for a multitude of reasons.

“It’s better,” said sophomore Joey Derks. “It just has more functionality than the iPhone, as well as having better personalization. It’s more value for your buck.”

Freshman Morgan Jenkins simply said, “I feel like it’s better known; like there are more apps”.

While trying to decide between running with the crowd of i-everythings, or joining the world of S-nerds, I picked Samsung for the personalization and ultimate choice of what you want your phone to be based.

Apple only provides simple Apple-based apps that they don’t let you delete.

While S-nerds complain about having too many features to ever use them all, Apple fanatics simply loath the fact that they can’t delete apps such as stocks, compass, game center, newsstand, etc.

In fact, when I asked an apple user if they could delete newsstand, they didn’t even know what it was.

Why take up your measly gigabytes with ridiculous apps you never use, nor know exist?

To its credit, Apple is extremely simple. If you want an app, you hop on to the app store and search the 1.2 million apps for just what you need. And even though the Android store has 1.3 million, many popular apple apps don’t ever make it into the android world.

Another plus to being a part of the iNation is iMessage, a genius group messaging system that is fantastic at excluding every other system in group messages.

A huge problem for Samsung users has been the inability to receive group texts when sent from iPhones using iMessage.

So if you and your friends have an ongoing group iMessage, you probably shouldn’t enter the S-world without telling them to turn their iMessaging off.

Honestly, no matter what route you take in smartphones, it will never be good enough for you; but that’s what motivates the world of tech to get better.

So keep complaining and pick a phone that you will be 90 percent satisfied with, because that’s as good as it’s going to get.