The Door to a Better Day

Every morning Joseph Smith holds the door open for other students, not because he expects anything big to happen, but because he just wants to be kind to others.

Tessa Petersen

Every morning, sophomore Joseph Smith holds the door open to welcome other students to a new day at RV

Tessa Petersen, Staff Writer

Every morning RV students are welcomed by Joseph Smith as he holds open the front doors to our school.

Moving from Arizona due to his father’s job of being a networking engineer, he is now a current sophomore here at RV.

“Back [in Arizona], I used to hold open the door.” Smith explains, “So I came here and started opening the door.”

Many people walk in the doors and do not address Smith, but others will often stop to tell him thank you. Smith expresses how people’s reactions make him feel, “It makes me feel happy, makes me have a better day.”

Smith does not expect any big events to happen to him or other people around him because he opens the door but rather just finds joy in the fact that others see him being kind.

So next time you walk through the front doors and see Smith standing there with a smile on his face, take the time to stop and say thank you and make someone’s day just a little better