The ALS Challenge: A Viral Virus

Gage Blakeslee, Staff Writer

ice-bucket-challengeViral phenomena come and go. The latest, and coldest, being the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.

Over a span of a month or two this past summer, every Facebook newsfeed was crowded with friends, relatives and other acquaintances dumping buckets of ice cold water over their heads.

But, why? And did it reach a point where this viral spectacle became a living, breathing virus?

“The idea of a challenge was a great way to raise awareness for ALS,” said sophomore Shyrae Cruz. “but it became a trend in media for people to get attention for themselves.”

The primary notion behind the challenge was to raise awareness, and funds, for ALS, a devastating disease with no cure and an absolute death sentence for those suffering from it.

Well, it worked. Videos came pouring in, and so did the money. Even if some people were not honest about their donations, and others participated strictly for attention, the majority donated.

Those who did not, well, at least the awareness around the disease was heightened dramatically.

“I believe that the ALS ice bucket challenge was a very good idea because each participant was supposed to donate,” said sophomore Tyler Oeltjenbrun. “But it diffused into friends challenging their friends and not donating anything.”

Perhaps, but as of August 27, 2014, donations to the ALS Foundation reached $94.3 million, which was $91.6 million more than the Foundation received the previous year, or an increase of nearly 3,500 percent.

“I think that the ALS challenge is a great way to spread awareness,” said sophomore Izabella Balce.

Now you’re probably also thinking “hey what about other charities?” because of the ALS challenge no one’s going to donate to other ones.” Well that’s entirely true. I mean yeah some donors are only thinking of ALS but it’s been proven that most start thinking of other charities.

“The key problem is funding cannibalism. That $3 million in donations doesn’t appear out of a vacuum. Because people on average are limited in how much they’re willing to donate to good causes, if someone donates $100 to the ALS Association, he or she will likely donate less to other charities.”

”This isn’t just speculation. Research from my own non-profit, which raises money for the most effective global poverty charities, has found that, for every $1 we raise, 50¢ would have been donated anyway. Given our fundraising model, which asks for commitments much larger than the amount people typically donate.

“We have reason to think that this is a lower proportion than is typical for fundraising drives. So, because of the $3 million that the ALS Association has received, I’d bet that much more than $1.5 million has been lost by other charities.”

Now this challenge has not just been helping itself even if that’s what it was trying to do.  This challenge has been helping people everywhere get educated in charities in general.  Also even raise money for other charities.

So yes, in some ways the ALS challenge has been an excuse for attention but it’s mostly been helping. Whether it’s helping itself or others most people really do believe it’s a good charity.