Too Old for Halloween?

Jeff Fleischman

Junior Lauren Toon and senior Tayla Madrid certainly aren’t too old to celebrate Halloween.

Jakob Fanning, Staff Writer

As teenagers, we are constantly being reminded that we need to grow up.  This comes from everyone: teachers, parents, siblings, and the significant other.  It always comes to the point where you need to put down the pillow fort, and start doing your homework.  One of  the most tender topics that comes with the coming of age, is the amazing holiday known to us as Halloween.

Kids line the streets, running from door to door.  Everything from the princess that’s so cute that you’re going to explode, to the costume that looks like it was put together 30 minutes ago out of trash.  The later the time, the less of the children you’ll see, and the bigger kids come out to play.

However, there comes a time when we all need to hang up the cowl and grow up a little bit.  But when is this time?

Is it the beginning of high school?

Is it the end of high school?

Somewhere in between?

“I don’t think it’s a matter of age,” said sophomore Jacob McKean. “If you’re enthusiastic enough  to get a costume, then you should still go trick-or-treating.”

David Cochran felt similarly.

“I don’t really think that there’s a cutoff age,” Cochran said.  “I mean, it’s free candy… Who doesn’t want free candy?”

Both Cochran and McKean admitted that they still go door to door on the search for candy.

However, just because you think that you are still young enough to, go ultimately part of the decision isn’t up to you.  A lot of the time, your parents tell you what you have to do.

“My parents continue to tell me that I’m too old to go trick-or-treating, but they don’t really enforce it,” said McKean.  “I think that the day that it’s finally enforced will be the day that my childhood crumbles to pieces.”

Remember that adorable princess that makes your eyeballs burst into flames.  Well, more often than not, that’s used against you.

There are many times where the younger sibling plays a crucial role in the giving up of Halloween.  You’ve got to go out on the neighborhood, but instead of enjoying yourself, you’ve got to watch out for the younger you.

“I have an older sibling who had to take me out one year,” Cochran said.  “So, although I don’t have any younger siblings, I think that I would have to take them out if I had any.”

Now, although many students are giving up the trick-or-treating life, it doesn’t mean halloween is over.  Many students will be going to the NAAC tonight to watch the Mustangs take on Grand Junction in the first round of the playoffs.

This doesn’t happen every year, and every year there isn’t a football game, but there will always be the Halloween parties.

Like most years, there are many invitations going out and about the hallways.

“This year I’m actually going to one of my friend’s parties,” McKean said.  “A bunch of close friends are going to be there, and we’ll be up a good portion of the night watching Lord of the Rings.”

The first Halloween party that you go to, will no doubt go down in history has one of your most memorable Halloweens.  However, the childish memories are just as grand.

“This Halloween has been by far the best.  It’s been a ton of fun,” McKean said.  “I think it’s because this year, it’s more about having fun than the actual candy.  I would also say that one of my other favorite memories would be the time I went to my first haunted house.”

Cochran, on the other hand, discussed his favorite Halloween.

“I went with a huge group when I was seven years old,” he said.  “I was the oldest out of all the kids, and we got a ton of candy that year.  The neighbors were handing out king sized candy bars, and it was amazing!”

While his friends may have grown out of the Halloween festivities, Cochran has not.

“As I’ve grown older, other’s have grown older as well,” he said.  “They’re all growing up, whereas I refuse to.  The Halloweens are just getting more and more sad over time as people continue to stop going.”

In high school, you may be too old to go trick-or-treating, but never old enough to party (that is, if you’re getting an invitation).

If you’re still out and about, trick-or-treating, I applaud you.

Congratulations for keeping your childhood alive and kicking. Go enjoy the last shred of innocence before it slips away for the very last time.  You won’t know how much you miss it until it’s gone.