Old is New for RV Athletics

Hynes returns for second stint as RV AD

Ethan Jordan

After “flunking” retirement, Jim Hynes is back as athletic director at Ralston Valley.

Ethan Jordan, Multi Media Editor

When Jim Hynes was hired as the athletic director of Ralston Valley in July of 2000, many of the school’s current students had yet to be born.

He served as athletic director and assistant principal for 14 years before announcing his retirement in 2013.

Hynes’ retirement signaled an end of an era at RV, an era that had been marked by achievements not only on the field, the court and the ice for many student athletes, but also in the classroom, achievements that in some way or another Hynes had a hand in.

Upon retiring and having the RV gymnasium named in his honor, it seemed Hynes was destined to become a memorable part of RV history. But when Mark Koopman resigned at the end of last year, Ralston Valley was in need of an athletic director and one of the applicants seemed oddly familiar.

“I’m always very blunt about it,” Hynes said. “The truth is I flunked retirement. My energy level is still high and so when the job came open I applied. I wanted to come back, if they would have me.”

And have him they did. 

The truth is I flunked retirement.

— Mr. Hynes

What’s old is new again, and Hynes resumed his duties as athletic director and assistant principal.

Almost immediately he was faced with his first decision. The Mustangs were in need of a boys soccer coach after Kyle Kazemi left to take a job at the University of New Mexico.

“We were in need of three new coaches, and I handled the most immediate need, hiring a boys soccer coach,” said Hynes, who determined PE teacher and former Wyoming soccer standout Jamie Scarcliff was right for the postion.

One of the other items on Hynes’ agenda was holding an all-school coaches meeting.

“I held a coaches meeting, and one of the things I am looking to really build on this year is mentoring coaches and striving for active leadership,” he said. “I am very optimistic about it. We have great coaches here.”

It is a rare occurrence for someone to leave and come back to the same job.

While unique, Hynes sees it as a great opportunity.

“One of the hardest parts of retirement was the wish I would have’s, the thoughts of what would I do if I could do it over again,” Hynes admitted. “Well, now I am (doing it again).”

While he is glad to be back and working, Hynes does say there is one piece of retirement that he does really miss.

“Golf,” Hynes said. “I’m an avid golfer, and I do miss waking up in the morning, looking outside and saying ‘Oh, great day for golf’, and then getting up and just going.”

With two more coaches to hire and fall sports getting into full swing, Hynes will certainly have his hands full and his golf game will have to endure a hibernation of sorts.

“Excited is a good word to describe it,” Hynes said. “I am very excited to be back.”