Waiving the White Flag

PE waivers for varsity athletes look to be going away at RV

Physical education teachers at RV may be seeing a lot more students in the future as PE waivers could be on their way out.

Photo by Jason DiRito

Jason DiRito, Staff Writer

Twenty-three.

To athletes and sports fanatics, the number is reminiscent of sporting icons such as LeBron James, David Beckham (while playing in LA), and of course, Michael Jordan.

But first and foremost to student athletes, 23 is the number of credits required to graduate. Of those 23 credits, every student must have a physical education credit of some sort.

In the past, varsity athletes could file a form to have that requirement waived because of the time and effort put into their sport, but all of that may be changing soon.

PE waivers seem to be on their way out of Ralston Valley.

In a recent newsletter, principal Mr. Gavan Goodrich addressed the reasoning behind this policy change saying, “This practice [of granting PE Waivers] was not consistent with the other schools in the district. From the school district’s point of view, all K-12 students should be required to have a physical education course…”

He continued noting that, “Any opportunity for students to participate in sustained periods of meaningful physical activity can be valuable for their health and fitness, but these activities do not provide the content of a comprehensive, standards-based physical education program, and thus should not be allowed to fulfill a physical education requirement.”

The good news is that all previously signed waivers will be honored, but these rumors still cause a great deal of frustration in student who may not be able to get their waivers signed.

“Ridiculous,” said junior Branden Bohling, echoing the numerous athletes without a PE Waiver.

As a junior, he has lettered three times in cross country and twice in track up to this point.

For Bohling, who not only runs for RV, but for summer and winter track teams, competing really does include a full-time commitment to maintaining his health and fitness. His athletic success depends on knowing how to take good care of himself, but he contends that taking a PE class would actually impede the physical activity he wants to focus on.

“Taking a team sports class would interfere with my own workouts,” Bohling said. “I’m not just performing in the spring and fall. I’m performing year round.”

There may be another drawback to halting the option for a PE waiver: some students may lose the opportunity to explore academic electives if they must take a PE class.

On the side of changing the practice, PE waivers always carried the stigma of excluding JV athletes who often work just as hard as varsity athletes, and commit just as much time.

Certainly, more clarity will come as Goodrich and the rest of the administration amend RV’s policy to “be in line with the spirit and language of the Board policy.”

The course of action until then?

RV Counselor Mrs. Paige Zaboth advises, “Start looking into what PE credits you would be willing to take next year,” and if your schedule is full because of performing arts electives, “you may be able to get a PE credit through Jeffco Virtual Academy.”