Disband the Dance

With several problems that take place over the dances that occur every year, is it best to get rid of most of them?

Evan Roshak, Staff Writer

Disband the Dance

Over the weekend I’m sure you are aware the so called “biggest event of the year occurred,” Homecoming 2k15! The dance took place this Saturday spurring butterflies and uneasiness across Arvada. Homecoming has become a redundant social obligation rather than the source of amusement it once set out to be. Homecoming protects and nurtures unnatural behavior patterns that value perceived image over connection. The dance prompts superficiality and is unnecessary for Ralston Valley, here’s why:

I Okay kids get a room.

I’m not opposed to high school relationships, the amount or lack there of physical contact is usually fine here at Ralston Valley, but homecoming changes people. Pop and lock, grind and flash even some of most innocent of students get into the action. The immaturity and absolute grotesque activity that occurs during the dance changes the way I look at the school and my peers. Ralston Valley should maintain a professional environment at all times and not cave to the depraved intentions of a certain sect of the school *Freshman*.

II Homecoming Week (Groan).

For a whole week every member of the student body is immensely involved in dress up, assemblies, and “adorable” homecoming proposals. Learning is put on hold as acting like a decrepit old person or sporting a lude toga becomes a top priority. Not to mention the meaningless class wars where students vigorously defend what year they happen to be born in. Homecoming doesn’t unite the student body, instead it builds up futile walls that divide everyone from freshmen to seniors for the remainder of the school year.

III Do we really have three of these things?

Ralston Valley has far too many dances. Homecoming, occasionally a winter formal, a Spring formal that could be better known as Spring Fling, and Prom occur within a six month time period. Think of all the limited funds students drop on clothes, food, and other accessories. The existence of Homecoming also defeats its purpose to create memories that will last a lifetime. Except, how special can a dance be if you go to twelve in just four years? If just Prom existed, not only would the dance be far more mature as it eliminates the younger hormone filled half of the school from corrupting its purpose, it also makes the occasion much more special than what exists today. Wouldn’t you value the dance much more if it  took actual patience and wisdom to attend?

For these reasons I will not participate nor attend the dance that serves no purpose to the student body, and I highly suggest you also boycott its existence until the fundamental problems with its presence are addressed by administration and student government leaders alike.