MENU

Hats Off

Is it time to review RV's policy of not allowing hats?

Grant O'Shea walks through the lobby of RV wearing his ski hat.

Photo by Evan Roshak

Evan Roshak, Staff Writer

Ralston valley doesn’t play around with students wearing assorted pieces of cloth on top their heads during school hours.

Almost all students can attest to the embarrassing experience of a teacher or an administrator demanding a hat be removed at once.

I mean, come on man, what a vibe killer!

Now, while putting up a fight and questioning the school’s anti-hat policy may seem like almost certain death in the moment, the time has come to reconsider the two major costs and benefits of allowing students to wear hats during school hours.

Cost: Make-a-Wish Week will Experience some Changes

Every year, Ralston Valley student government uses the “pay a buck to wear a hat for a day” system to turn out money for the noble cause of funding children’s dreams.

While this may seem like a perfect system, limiting hat use to one day severely limits our school’s ability to fund children’s dreams across America. Just think of the potential in a system in which during any given day in the school year students were free to wear a hat so long a dollar payment was made.

This new, utopian system may slightly reduce the jazz associated with Make-A-Wish week, but it ultimately obtains the most money for charitable causes across the nation.

Benefit: Hats Pose no Credible Safety Concern

As mentioned earlier, once every year the student body is able to wear hats all day, including during class.

This one day is not magically safer than the rest; administrators simply let the redundant rules slide because everyone knows it is for the greater good.

As sophomore and hat aficionado Ben Corrado points out, “I just feel like Ralston Valley’s hat policy is a double standard. Why is safety not affected on one day yet it is on others?”

Continuing this thought, no weapons deemed as an expulsion worthy (12+ inch blades) could remain concealed in a hat. Instead, hats only have enough room for some serious style and your big head.

In summary, does letting another student express their own identity with accessories such as hats truly distract you?

Does the presence of hats prevent your ability to learn?

If maybe just for once the student body could unite for the right to express themselves freely and own up to a bigger cause, Ralston Valley could become its most safe and productive learning environment.