MENU

Acceptance and/or Resistance?

Trump's election won't silence the resistance

Protesters make their way down Glenarm Place at the Pavilions near the 16th St. Mall during the Women's March on Denver January 21, 2017. Over 100,000 people converged on downtown Denver in coordination with demonstrations across the country to send a message to the new Trump administration demanding social justice, human rights, and equality. Andy Cross, The Denver Post

photo courtesy of The Denver Post

photo courtesy of The Denver Post

Allison Burback, Staff Writer

I will be the first to admit that I am not an expert on politics. Only very recently have I brushed upon the political scene and decided to pay attention to this fascinating (and terrifying) world.

Therefore, I will not claim that this policy is fantastic and that legislation is terrible. I simply do not know enough to fully support an opinion, but I look forward to learning as much as possible in the future so that one day I will be able to do so.

However, even from my tender age of 17, I do believe that I have authority to articulate my beliefs on how other individuals should be treated. Knowing a diverse group of people, I have come to realize that everyone is the same.

A person is a person is a person, no matter which way you choose to look at it.

For that reason, every human, regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, etc., should be treated equally and with respect. Every human should have certain rights that can’t and won’t be tainted throughout life.

For these reasons alone, I am undeniably against President Donald Trump and concerned about the future of this country.

Yes, I completely understand that the President of the United States deals with a much broader range of issues than the rights of individuals. Nevertheless, I believe that these ideals are extremely important and should take precedence when choosing which candidate to vote for.

Therefore, we cannot deny nor ignore the despicable actions and words of Trump.

How does one vote for a man who degrades women and has been caught making a comment filled with explicit and sexist content?

How does one vote for a man who propagates a culture of hate?

How does one vote for a man who believes in stripping, instead of reinforcing, individuals of rights?

How is one able to look at this behavior and say, that’s okay?

Although I am not sure I will ever be able to understand how Trump won such a large percent of votes or how he actually managed to win the presidency, it is time to look toward the future.

Trump is our President for the next four years – there is no denying that. And while this prospect scares me, it certainly does not make me turn to defeat.

Instead, I, joined by millions of other Americans, will continue to fight for what is right. The overwhelming participation in the “Women’s March” this past weekend after the inauguration proves just that.

Trump’s victory does not mean that the portion of the population that didn’t vote for him will sit silently while he destroys an integral part of what truly makes America “great” – our personal freedoms and a culture that encourages equality.

We will not retreat, we will not be pushed down, and we will not be forgotten.