A Student-Run News Publication

The Elderly in Danger

The Coronavirus is a danger to all, but it’s most dangerous to the elderly. I live with my grandparents and my biggest worry during this whole crisis is the possibility of them getting infected and possibly dying.

With this Virus, the elderly are the greatest risk, that is why elderly homes are being closed to visitors and they can’t see each other. “older adults and people of any age who have serious underlying medical conditions might be at higher risk for severe illness from COVID-19.” This information comes from the CDC or the Center for Disease Control, and it shows what most of us fear. When I found this information my heart sank. I was unbelievably worried about what could happen to my grandparents. Looking at them later when they found out and seeing the small fear they had really confused me about how they felt.

I asked my Grandpa about why he wasn’t scared and why he didn’t care about the Virus. “I trust my family to be clean and safe around me and your grandmother, I also trust God to protect us.” I didn’t understand, how could he be so unbothered by this. He’s seventy-five, I thought to myself, he should be scared. This is very dangerous for him. I needed to keep him safe, I felt the need to stay away from everyone that didn’t leave with us to a higher level. Even if they were not infected, I would not risk the danger to my grandpa. I kept asking and asking my grandpa why he wasn’t scared, how he could not be scared.

My Grandpa said, “Brady, I’m seventy-five years old, my time is coming and I know that. I also know how hard you’re all trying to keep me safe, so I don’t have anything to fear, if it’s my time then I’m okay with that. I’ve lived a good life.” Hearing my Grandpa say he was ready to die, made me sad. I know that death is inevitable, but knowing who my grandpa was and how he lived, I always felt like he was invincible and would outlive anything, but I know that’s not the case.

My grandma, Julie, however, was a little more scared. “I am scared, it’s dangerous for me and your grandpa, he may not be scared, but I want to be around to meet my great-grandchildren and see my grandkids get married. I don’t want this virus to take that from me.” Talking to my grandma just further cemented the feeling I had of having to protect them. I would do everything in my power to keep them from getting this virus, to keep them safe.

I know that there’s not much in my power to stop this virus if it does get into our house, but I will try my hardest to keep it out because I would be devastated if they were to contract it.