Almost, Maine, Almost, Making it Big

Tayla Madrid, Staff Writer

It’s also a band that one day could be on the cover Rolling Stone, a band that one day could headline stadiums just as comfortably as they do a small setting like the Marquis Theater.

Every member of Almost, Maine, brings something different to the table whether that be David Dent and his vocal abilities, Sean Kellogg and his killer guitar skills, Christian “Swarley” Stewart and the way he shreds on the bass, or Adam Shaw, who can bang the drums.

Each member of Almost, Maine, began as boys who wanted play music. This led to different spheres of influence for their music, but all came down to one band that affected them more than others — All Time Low.

Recently, in front of a nearby Starbucks, the band talked about their skills, their origin, and how they decided on a name for the group.

“I picked the name when I was walking into school on day and there was a poster with the name Almost, Maine, and it was for our school’s play,” said Dent, the band’s front man. “I just thought it was a really cool name.”

The band came together in 2012 after the break of the former band that David, Sean and Swarley happened to be apart of.  Their former drummer left them, leaving the guys with no drummer.  That’s when Adam came in and they fully became Almost, Maine. Now with Adam in the band they all started to work well with each other. Each member has his own musical inspirations, from Adam and his passion for A Day to Remember, or David and his love for the crooner Justin Timberlake or Sean and his obsession with 5 Seconds of Summer. However different their music taste maybe they all can agree on one thing.

“If All Time Low and 5 Seconds of Summer were to have a love child then that’s what our sound would be.” Sean described their sound and all the guys nodded and laughed in agreement. They then began talking about the new music that they are working on (The song Anthem is available for download on iTunes) and also how well their very first album is doing. Their very first single Beginner’s Luck is free for download on their website.

Each one of them no matter how different they are they all seem to get along, when asked about the dynamic of the band they said that they are closer than a family. Most high school bands just do it for fun and not really see it as a future career, with these guys though they spend from 50-60 hours a week working on their music from writing new songs, to playing various shows at the local venues around Colorado, their favorite venue to play is the Summit Music Hall in downtown Denver.

At all the shows they put on you can see and feel the passion that they have for all the things that they do. At Moe’s BBQ on September 13th they played their hearts out for the few diehard fans that they have had since they formed and also were able to get more fans after the show. After they performed we were able to do a photo shoot at the bowling ally that was at the venue. During the photos they tried their very best to be serious but ended up having a good time. Especially when they were memorized by the bowling ball or even when they tried to lift David up in an attempt to make everyone really start to laugh.

All laughs and jokes aside when it boils down to it these guys just want to make the best music possible.  When asked where they see them selves in five years they answered like this. “We’ll be playing on the moon” Adam responded then Sean cut in and said this “We want to be one of the biggest Pop-Punk bands around.”

This band has lots of aspirations and are trying to reach the top even if it takes them some time it definitely appears this band is going to become one of the best.

almostmaineband.com
twitter- @Almost_Maine
Instagram- @almostmaine
Tumblr- AlmostMaineOffical
Youtube- AlmostMaineOffical