Working the World

Author Hap Cameron has a story to tell

Author Hap Cameron, the husband of RV Spanish Teacher Mrs. Amanda Cameron, has quite a story to tell.

Photo courtesy of The Southland Times (New Zealand)

Hadley Hagemann, Staff Writer

Hap Cameron has traveled the world and made a difference in all the world’s continents.

“I worked 32 jobs over my 8.5 years of working the world, and each job was a distinctively different experience,” said Cameron. “From working on oil rigs in Northern Canada, to volunteering in an orphanage in Mexico, to teaching English in Korea, to setting up a sustainable bike work shop in Africa, to working in corporate marketing in Ohio, to being a six-star waiter on an Antarctic cruise ship to a Dive master in Thailand to being a nightclub restroom attendant.”

Not only has he accomplished traveling to such extent, and getting a taste of the world’s cultures; but he also put his experiences into words in his book, “Hap Working the World”.

You may know Cameron from his visits to Ralston Valley with his wife, Spanish teacher Mrs. Amanda Cameron.
Cameron met his wife in the small surf town of Sayulita. He visited and shared his stories to some of the Spanish classes throughout the day, inspiring the students to explore the world.

“Always believed that your 20’s are the perfect time to explore,” Cameron said, “not just the world that we live in, but also to explore who you are as a person”.

Although Cameron’s experiences were astounding to hear about he says, “Just remember, you’re not always going to get it right the first time.”
When you travel as much as Cameron did, that is completely true.

Obviously having as many jobs as Cameron has, you run into some rough spots. One surprisingly difficult job for Cameron was working on a cruise ship in Antarctica.

The long hours, small living quarters, and awful boss made the cruise ship a rough place to work in; not to mention constantly getting sea sick and forcing a smile to carry on. On top of these stressful working conditions, he was the only worker with English as his first language; the rest being Filipino.

“I was literally an isolated island in the middle of a Filipino speaking ocean,” said Cameron, recalling the isolation and loneliness he felt out at sea.

Experiences, Cameron added, both the good and the bad, are always worth it.

Traveling and living day to day like Cameron did forces you to find yourself, and test yourself each and every day.