MENU

Rollin’ in the Deep

RV community raises nearly $25,000 during first four days of Make-A-Wish Week

On+Monday%2C+students%2C+including+Julianne+Smith+%28%2719%29+were+encouraged+to+pay+%242+to+wear+a+hat+during+the+school+day.+The+money+collected+began+the+giving+for+Porter%2C+RV%27s+2018+Make-A-Wish+kid.+
On Monday, students, including Julianne Smith ('19) were encouraged to pay $2 to wear a hat during the school day. The money collected began the giving for Porter, RV's 2018 Make-A-Wish kid.

courtesy of Stampede Yearbook

courtesy of Stampede Yearbook

Hunter Burns, Staff Writer

courtesy of Stampede Yearbook
Emilee Cawlfield (’18) is showing her school spirit, both in terms of representing RV during Make-A-Wish Spirit Week, but also by displaying the mascot of her future college, Colorado Mesa University.

courtesy of Stampede Yearbook
Penny Stall on Wednesday forced teachers like Mrs. Jennifer Hoefer to delay the start of class until all change was counted. The RV community raised over $5,000 during Wednesday’s Penny Stall.

courtesy of Stampede Yearbook
The final spirit day of Make-A-Wish Week was College Wear day, and plenty of Mustangs showed their CU-Boulder love.

This past week has been Make-A-Wish Week at Ralston Valley, a week where the student body comes together to create a better life for a child with a critical illness.

RV’s adopted Wish Kid this year is Porter, a 2-year-old boy diagnosed with leukemia.

On Thursday, Feb. 1, the Mustangs student body met Porter at its yearly Make-A-Wish assembly, and it’s safe to say that he stole the hearts of everyone in that gym.

Additionally, RV’s Make-A-Wish child from two years ago, Logan, was granted his wish of a recording studio and visited RV once again to play a John Elton song, which happens to be Porter’s favorite artist, on the piano.

An inspiring moment for all, it was difficult to keep a dry eye.

After the assembly, Student Government students lined the hallways for RV’s Miracle Minute. This year, StuGo’s Miracle Minute goal was to raise over $6,000.

Incredibly, the $6,000 goal was obliterated as RV raised $7,840 during that minute.

Previously, on Wednesday, Jan. 31, the school raised $5,275 from Penny Stalls, a fundraising event where students can “stall” the start of their class by forcing their teachers to count all the coins that were brought to class that morning. Mr. Chris Braketa’s 3rd block Calculus class brought in over $1,000 on its own.

Prior to the start of Make-A-Wish Week, StuGo had established a goal of raising $18,000.

Well, the RV community has decimated that goal. At the end of Thurday, Feb. 1, StuGo had collected $24,972.75.

Fundraising continues today and Saturday at Panera Bread, Jukebox lunches, and $3 whip cream towers during 2nd lunch.

Saturday’s Color Fusion Dance is sure to be another event that puts the “fun” in “fundraising” as all proceeds of the $10 tickets will go to the Make-A-Wish Foundation.