Out with the Old, In with the New

Witt, Newkirk, Williams serve final day on Jeffco School Board

Evan Roshak, Staff Writer

Election Tuesday, November 3, saw minor elections across the nation that wielded huge results.

One of the hot-button races being watched by political analysts was the Jefferson county school board recall. Districts 1, 2, and 5 saw the ousting of conservative school board members Williams, Newkirk, and Witt, who had been criticized heavily in the past year by teachers, students, and even parents.

Their involvement in changing teacher pay standards and more infamously the whitewashing of Advanced Placement World History curriculum has struck enough anger in around 113,000 Jeffco residents who decided to vote for the recall.

The statewide school walkouts last 2014 have evolved into a successful recall effort as an overwhelming 65% majority of voted for change.

The new school board representatives are as follows; District 1: Brad Rupert (100%) District 2: Susan Harmon (82.26%) and finally District 5 Ron Mitchell (69.74%).

In addition, Jill Fellman (District 3) and Lesley Dahlkemper (District 4) did not run for re-election, and were replaced by Ali Lasell and Amanda Stevens, respectively.

Williams, Newkirk and Witt served the school board for a final time at a meeting held on Thursday night, November 19.