Beard to Death

RV’s Jones takes pride in his full facial hair

Photo by Matt Matthews

Senior Ryan Jones has found a way to make his beard a feared asset on the soccer field.

Tessa Petersen, Staff Writer

Many students around RV know senior Ryan Jones.

He’s the soccer player with the awesome beard. It’s his trademark and most pronounced facial feature.

However, many don’t know very much more about him, or his beard for that matter.

Jones explains how many people think that he is so much older than he actually is.

“People thought I was a teacher on the first day,” recalled Jones, who certainly can grow a thicker beard than many male teachers at RV. “I remember other students were asking me where the C-hall is, and I’m like, ‘I’m a student’.”

Many adults even question Jones by asking, “Man, are you sure you’re in high school? How old are you?’”

Jones isn’t surprised by that inquiry any longer.

“I get [the question] ‘how long have you had your beard a lot?’ ”

But, as Jones explains, “Most people just want to touch it.”

Now, that’s awkward.

“People walk up [to me all the time] and are like, ‘hey, can I touch your beard? And I’m like, ummmmm…’”

For those who have known Jones prior to RV, the beard isn’t new.

“I have had my beard since seventh grade,” Jones said. “I had a mustache in fifth grade and started shaving in fifth grade. So, by the time seventh grade rolled around, I had a full beard.”

While Jones’ beard may inspire jealousy in some of his classmates, they probably don’t want to deal with the maintenance it requires to keep in tip-top shape.

“I make sure I clean it well,” Jones said. “It’s kind of hard to take care of sometimes. It’s a lot of work. Sometimes, I wake up in the morning and have to comb it because it’s messy.”

On the soccer field, Jones has found a way to make the beard a beneficial aspect of his game.

“I can use the beard as a scare tactic out there,” Jones said. “A lot of coaches recognize me because of my beard.”

Currently, Jones is one of three RV students who are taking part in no-shave November, helping to raise money for a local charity. Like other participants, Jones has agreed to do something “interesting” with his facial hair during finals week.

And for somebody who hasn’t truly been clean-shaven since his sophomore year, this will be something to see.